Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Make a Choice

Coming out of the holiday season, I started executing my carefully choreographed New Year's Resolution, which included learning, business, family, and health goals.  Just about a couple of weeks into the New Year, a series of unexpected events ensued...we lost our beloved cat, a close colleague decided to leave, and I put an old one-sided friendship on hold. 

Typically I am pretty decisive -- I cut my losses, anchor on a positive perspective, and move on -- and alway believe that everything will turn out fine.  For some reason this time felt different...somehow I had a stronger than usual sense of melancholy and "indulged" myself in self-doubts.  I was lost at the mental cross road of either going back to the familiar corporate life or continuing on with the entrepreneur path. 

Fortunately I had a timely lunch meeting with a new friend, who didn't have any clue about my past professional life.  She guessed with surprising accuracies the reasons I must have left the corporate world.  She shared with me the psychological ups and downs she had endured in her 17 years of entrepreneurship.  One thing she learned was that self-doubt is toxic and debilitating, and a luxury an entrepreneur cannot afford to have.

Knowing my dilemma, she said something that struck a chord...she asked me to give myself a target date to pursue my dream.  If I succeeded, it would be great.  If I failed, I would still learn and grow a lot more than staying in the corporate world.  As long as I gave it 120% I would be guaranteed a gain at the end.  

I knew immediately that the argument was indisputable.  Suddenly my mind became clear and I had a new resolve.  Oddly, once I've made up my mind, more doors started to open up.  I'm thankful for the message...I wouldn't be surprised if it was sent from above...how else would it have been timed so perfectly?  I am now very happy with my choice.  Hopefully you are happy with yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment