Saturday, August 15, 2015

Q&A with an Aspiring Young Professional

I had a conversation with a lovely new graduate who studied in the U.S. but was born and raised in China.  She asked me some typical questions about establishing a career in the U.S. as a non-native-speaking person.  I'm sharing her summary of our conversation since I think it will help many aspiring young professionals as well.

"First of all, regarding how I should overcome the problem of always forgetting, you suggested me to do use some commonly known efficient methods I learned from school to cope. You suggested me to find a way to stay focused so as to improve memory. You also mentioned writing things down for reviewing. I feel that it might be good for me if I keep a diary of this type of experience, where I have conversation with mature and experienced people and get some of my confusion cleared. I have got to deal with it someday, so I’d better figure out earlier. If I like dealing with problems, this should be on top of the list also. Because I kept bringing up this topic, it is probably a big problem deep in my subconsciousness.

When I asked how I should improve my public speaking skill, you suggested me to join some clubs to practice, to talk to people, to tell stories to children and so on. You let me know that we should not always try to avoid our weaknesses. Instead, we should face it and change it. We do not have to be perfect but it is important that we know what is important. The key of public speaking is to make our point clearly. The thinking process, the logic, and the way we deliver our message are more important the language grammar and fluency themselves. There are a lot of great people who speak English as a second language and are still able to make their points clearly as well as show their great personalities. Therefore, I should not struggle with the language itself or pursue perfection. It is not very possible while improving my thinking ability and communication skill are what I should focus on.

When I asked how I should take my family’s expectation into consideration when making my own decision, you suggested me to take the responsibility for myself as guideline and principle. Our parents do not only expect us to achieve greatness, what they really want from us is that one day we would be able to take care of ourselves and that we live happily. At the end of the day, it is myself who I am living for and I shall grow up one day. Therefore, I should make decisions for the goal that one day I can depend on myself but not my parents. And if I succeed one day, my parents would be so proud of me.

Also, when balancing my own career path and the wish to help with my father’s existing business, you asked me to take advantage of it and use his network and other resources to accelerate my growth and career development. While helping his business, I am also helping myself because I learn from his experience in the most efficient way due to his most willingness to give me whatever he has.  What I need to do for now is to discuss with him how much time and energy he expects me to spend with him and his business, then I can conduct and be okay with what we decide rationally. By complementing each other, we gain the best outcome.

You also shared with me that degree diplomas are important tools in terms of social recognition as well as in systemizing what we learn from school and work mutually, thereby improving our ability to learn, to think, to work and increasing our competency in many aspects.

Last and most importantly, you asked me not to regret on what I have chosen in the past, but move forward and decide what to do next more rationally. When making a decision, I shall not always try to avoid facing my weaknesses. If so, I will pay the price someday.

According to what you taught me, I feel that I need to have more self-discipline and stronger faith. And I will do my best to be a better person."       - by Jiali Chen


No comments:

Post a Comment