Thursday, May 22, 2014

People Building...

On the career front, nothing excites me more to learn that those who work with and around me have grown and expanded their skills and knowledge that they didn't have before through working together and solving tough challenges.  Therefore I'm especially touched by the letters I've received in the past few days from those who had worked closely with me and gave me accounts of what they've learned.  Once I had an employee who told me in tears that I was the first supervisor in 30-years who made him feel useful and doing something meaningful.  Those words and genuine outflow of emotions made all the trouble, headache, and hardship worthwhile.

As a woman engineer, we combined two natural traits that differentiate us ==>  we are driven and motivated by nurturing others and solving problems.  Not only do we build buildings and infrastructures, we also build the people we lead.  Confucius says, “teach in line with the student's ability" (因材施教).  Similarly, building people requires understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each individual and give appropriate challenges to unleash the maximum potential.  I've turned my teams into high performance mode time and time again by following this principle.  A healthy and high performing organization encourages such principle rather than the one-size fits all approach.

It is my hope that those who had been on my team inherit this gene and continue to build more people they lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment