Sunday, May 4, 2014

Key to success in U.S.

I was asked what the key was to succeed in the U.S.  I can certainly appreciate where this question is coming from, particularly for immigrants.

Being an immigrant faces many challenges in this New World.  We did not grow up with the human network nor the cultural background.  We didn't know the language nor the nuances of the social system.  Everything seems daunting and intimidating.  There is no support system that can assure us that everything is going to work out ok.

I remember when we first came to the U.S., the only word I could understand was "thank you."  Everything else was a blur.  I was also incredibly self conscious about not making any grammatical mistakes.  So every sentence took me painfully long to say because I had to rehearse it over and over and over again in my head before I could finally say it.

So...what did it take for me to come out of my shell and establish my career?  This is in fact an interesting question for me to reflect on.

I remember being resentful, fearful, and bitter at times about being uprooted from my homeland where I enjoyed being always at the center of attention at school and in social circles.  Over here suddenly I became no body.  However, dwelling in the negativities and self-woes was debilitating and counter-productive.  I just focused on what I was good at and kept at it...may it be at school, or later on at work.  Everyday I tried to find a way to do things incrementally better.  Although deep inside I deeply cared about what others thought of me, I tried my very best to ignore those that thought less of me.  I believed who I was and what I was capable of.  In time, and in deed in time, I would be ok.

So, to me, the key to success is focus your energy on keep trying...never give up and never give in.

No comments:

Post a Comment